Childbirth is one of the biggest life events that we will ever experience, yet many moms feel like they had little control over how their birth turned out. Current research shows that about 1 in 4 women experience a traumatic birth. Because our culture associates birth with fear and pain, some women may experience their birth as “normal” even when they may have experienced a traumatic birth. Trauma can be defined as an event that is overwhelming leading to an elevated and prolonged fear response in the body, making it difficult to integrate the event into our life narrative.
What are the signs and symptoms?
- Negative changes in thinking or mood including postpartum depression or anxiety
- Intrusive memories and/or nightmares
- Feeling anxious or on edge
- Feeling numb or shutdown
- Avoidance behaviors such as avoiding thinking or talking about birth
Trauma compromises one’s sense of well-being because it impacts brain function, the health of the body, and one’s emotional state. It affects our relationship with ourselves and others.
What does the process of healing from Birth Trauma look like?
- Processing your birth
- Using a combination of counselling, somatic therapy, and energy healing to work through and release feelings of fear and overwhelm that are remaining from your birth
- Integrating your birth story
- By working through the challenging parts of your birth, we create space for exploring and integrating your birth story in a cohesive and meaningful way
- Reiki and Energy Healing
- To induce a deep state of relaxation and provide holistic healing following your birth
How can I get started?